How Old Do You Have to Be to Play League of Legends?
League of Legends is an amazing game that has been around for quite some time. It’s a team game that will give you some amazing moments and a good time that you can spend with your friends or complete strangers. But not everything is sunshine and roses, since the game is as bad as it is good with some flaws that have been around since the beta testing of League.
This opens the door to questions like "Is there a minimum age requirement for League of Legends" and "How old do you have to be to play League of Legends"?
Well, worry not. We are here to tell you all you need to know about the minimum required age that you or your child has to be so that they can play League. We will also cover some facts about the League itself and help you whether League of Legends may be an age-appropriate hobby.
According to League of Legends’s terms and conditions and age policy, you have to be at least 13 years old to play League of Legends. Otherwise, your account may be banned.
Now, some of you may wonder why is this; why is there a minimum age requirement?
Let’s go over some pros and cons of League of Legends that can help you understand Riot’s decision to implement a minimum age requirement for League of Legends.
Related Article: How to Uninstall League of Legends
- Team game – teaches a person that collaboration with your team is the best way to win every game
- Improving your social skills – Every game in League of Legends requires multiple people to be online simultaneously. Most of the time, these people will not be your friends, but complete strangers. This is a great new way to improve your social skills and meet new friends from your region or even worldwide (if you don’t play on your nearest server).
- Improving your language skills – For most League players, English is not their first language, but most of the time, people in-game will converse in English since it has become a universal language of the world. This is a great way to improve your English language skills and bring them to the next level. For those struggling, we have a guide to help you change the language in League of Legends.
- Train your brain – League of Legends is a great way to train your brain and become smarter. There are hundreds of decisions that have to be dealt with in a split second every game. The whole game is like a series of thousands of mini puzzles that can make you smarter in the long term. While playing League, you will improve your decision-making, your memory will improve, and it will boost your creativity. And on top of that all, you will have swift fingers!
- Monetize your time – If you get really good at the game you could go on and play for professional e-sports teams and earn big prizes from competing in tournaments.
- Toxic community – Over 76% of all League of Legends players have reported that they have experienced abuse while playing League of Legends. This has led many people to wonder why is LoL so toxic?
- Never-ending – League of Legends has been around for almost 13 years. Although it feels like a completely different game from when it first started, the basics are still the same, just improved. The plan is that League of Legends will never end, leaving players without a real sense of accomplishment once they win the game since they can never fully finish it. You will always feel a need to get better at LoL.
- Time-consuming – Average League of Legends game lasts around 30 minutes, but some games can run for as long as an hour and in some extreme cases, even longer. And to get very good at the game, you need to have thousands of games under your belt. This takes a crazy amount of time and dedication, and many people don’t have that much time on hand.
- Extremely difficult to master – As mentioned above, you need some time to be an average player in League of Legends. When it comes to mastering it, you can even spend years behind your pc and never reach high ELO. It's very challenging to climb the ranks in League of Legends.
There you have it everyone! We have told you how old you have to be to play League of Legends. We also covered some pros and cons of the game itself. We probably missed some of them, but you probably understand what we wanted to say. Now it’s your turn. Weigh out the pros against the cons and decide whether you will let your child play the game or possibly try out the game yourself. But always remember that it is just a game and the whole point is to have fun!
For those new to League of Legends, the best place to start is probably with our in-depth guide to the best beginner champions in LoL.
Images Courtesy of Riot Games.