Vi Strategy Guide
Vi is a great jungle champion and top laner. Built as a bruiser, she can both initiate team fights as well as solo kill most champions. We hope this Vi guide will help you make the best of this incredible champion!
What makes Vi special?
Vi’s ability to easily initiate and dive on her targets before pummeling them into dust is what makes her an amazing champion. She can cross great distances to jump on her target with Vault Breaker. Not only that but in team fights, she can dive the enemy backline and knock up their highest damage dealer using her ultimate Assault and Battery. Once she’s on her target, she can deal large amounts of damage from her Denting Blows passive. Additionally, when in lane or when clearing large jungle camps, her Excessive Force ability lets her next AA deal massive AoE damage behind her target, allowing you to clear many enemies at once.
- Great initiation
- Can dive back line and lock down priority target
- Can chew through enemy tanks with Denting Blows
- Great wave and jungle camp clear with Excessive Force
- Good escape over walls
- Poor mobility while Q is on cooldown
- Weak vs. opponents that can kite well
- Best built as a brawler, which can leave you a little squishy when initiating a team fight
Blast Shield (Passive)
- When running for your life, it may be beneficial to briefly turn around and hit the chasing champion with one of your abilities to proc the shield. You can use the large AoE effect of Excessive Force to do this without directly engaging your foe.
Vault Breaker (Q)
- This ability slows you while channeling. When chasing, don’t hold it too long trying to get your angle just right or you might fall too far behind.
- Always fully charge this ability when ganking to increase the initial damage and your dash range.
- Interrupt other champion’s channeled abilities with the knock back of this ability.
Denting Blows (W)
- If you face a tank heavy enemy team composition, focus leveling this skill up first.
- Combining this ability with attack speed boosting items will significantly increase her damage output.
- You can trigger the effect more often by animation canceling with Excessive Force.
Excessive Force (E)
- This ability allows Vi to be an effective top lane champion. Position yourself well when clearing waves with this ability, not only to damage multiple minions but also to damage the enemy champion without drawing minion aggro.
- Using this ability too often in the early game can drain your mana.
- Towers can be taken done faster by using Excessive Force.
Assault and Battery (R)
- Be careful, if your target Flashes back or uses another movement ability before you knock them up, you may find yourself much deeper into the enemy’s territory than you planned.
- You can use this ability to initiate over walls, although Vault Breaker might be a better choice to initiate with.
- Vi’s ult damages enemies that she passes through on the way to her target. If you can, try to use it while multiple enemies are between you and your target to maximize your damage.
- Vi’s ultimate also lands her behind her target. Follow up with Vault Breaker to push them back towards your team or if they were in their team’s back line, follow up with Excessive Force to hit multiple enemies.
Jungle Summoner Spells
Top Summoner Spells
As a starting item, I would recommend Hunter’s Machete in the jungle and Doran’s Shield in the top lane, both for their added sustain early. You need to play a little safe until you are at least level 3 and have unlocked each of your basic abilities.
For the best late game item builds, check out our Vi build guide, which contains the best item builds versus a variety of team types (i.e. tanky, CC heavy, AD, etc…). The data there is built entirely from real match data and is updated often.
Jungle: As the
Top: Focus on getting CS. Use Excessive Force to clear waves and poke the enemy top
Mid and Late Game
Vi excels in team fights, where it’s her job to dive the opposing team’s back line, taking out their carry as quickly as possible. This will cause their front lines to fall apart as they try to cover their carry, which in turn will allow the rest of your team to follow. Make sure your team is aware you will be diving. You will be quickly targeted, so if your teammates are not ready to follow you in, you will accomplish nothing.